So today I had a mommy meltdown of sorts and made one of my first "first time parent" doctor visits. You know the ones where your child is probably perfectly fine but as a first time parent you are just freaked out a bit, yep that was me.
It started at feeding time around 1030. It was time for vitamins. I hate those things. They stink. They stain and they are a pain to give her. She was a bit squirmy and worked up but I decided to proceed as her mouth was open so I took my shot. Well I made a boo boo and she must have taken the entire shot straight down "the wrong pipe." She immediately started to choke, cough and turn the reddest I have ever seen. She was gasping for air and heaving as hard as she could to try to catch her breath and work it out, but it wasn't working.
I felt horrible and freaked out. I was on the brink of tears and didn't know what to do. She somewhat settled but then there was this wheezing and rattle in her chest as she would breathe. Then she would try to cough or spit and it was thick and snotty. She couldn't seem to swallow or breath again. Still felt horrible so I did what any first time mom would do, called her husband on the brink of tears and begged him to come home.
I had also called the doctor. (We had planned on calling anyway because she hasn't been eating as much lately.) The doctor called back and said we could come in. So when Clay got home we headed off to the doctor's office. (Clay must have been a bit concerned too because I swear he drove a little faster than normal but it could have been the fact that I was sitting in the backseat.)
The NP came in to examine her first and she still sounded wheezy but when the doctor came in, she said that Kenley was fine. I'm sure hoping so (and I need to trust the doctor since she paid for med school and I didn't). We did the rest of the exam and asked a few more of our first time parent freak out questions. Dr. K assured me that this won't be the last time she chokes and that she will be fine. We nursed a bit at the office since Kenley was starving and the doctor wanted to listen to her while she was eating. It is not the most comfortable thing to nurse there but we managed. She ate well and we packed up to come home.
Of course when we got here she sounded wheezy again to me but I'm sure I'm just paranoid and freaking out. She is chilaxin in the swing and I'm calming down.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey glad to hear Kenley is okay! Kiana does that sometimes too with the vitamins, I have started giving her one side then give her half a dose, then give her the other side and then half a dose, seems to be better, that stuff smells so bad, i can't imagine how awful it tastes, i'd gag too!!
When they are so little, you spend most of your time holding your breath and praying. As they get older, the frequency diminishes. But parents with older children can read this and smile because experience has tough them that everything will be ok. The most revealing but hardest lesson to learn is how resilient and brave the little ones are compared to us.:)
Post a Comment