Late each night or should I say early each morning when I'm rocking Kenley back to sleep after nursing, my mind wanders. Usually it's making some sort of "to do" list about what I need to do the next day or things I need to tell Clay. Sometimes its just hoping that the hiccups don't show up and that all the milk stays down. Over the past few nights, portions of a poem that my mom had keep running through my head. I think she had it one some needlepoint thing that hung somewhere in our house (my room I suppose) but I couldn't think of the first part of the poem...only the end... So, thanks to the wonderful world wide web I have found the poem (or one really close to it.) There are several different versions but this one portrays the last two lines I kept repeating... helps me keep a different focus late at night for what really matters.
"Babies Don't Keep"
I hope that my child, looking back on today
Will remember a mother who had time to play;
Because children grow up while you're not looking,
There are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So, quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
TJ and I always say that poem!!
that must explain why i don't like to clean my house!
I was looking for my needlepoint that I did when you were a child the age of Kenley, and I can't find it.
We also discussed it in Sunday school last Sunday. One mother, said she has a compulsion of having to have such a clean house all the time, and if it wasn't clean she was upset.
Housework can keep. I always said our house was clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.
Rock her, she will grow up way too fast!!!
You know the perfectionist in me has a hard time not having my house "clean" to my standards but she is definitely more important than the dust and dirt.
Post a Comment