Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Frustrated

Lately I've been frustrated. Since our dr appt on 10/8, the eating situation has progressively gotten worse. It has come to the point that (until today) Kenley hadn't had more than 3-4 bites of solid food in over a week. Finally today at lunch she ate half of a container and at dinner she polished off 3/4 of one. All weekend was a power struggle and led to a fussy Kenley and a concerned and frustrated mom. The effects of an all breastmilk diet are wide spread for an almost 10 month old. She no longer sleeps through the night since she wakes up by 2am starving and needs to be fed (which doesn't help with my supply when I'm trying to cut back and start weaning). On top of it all the dirty diapers for a milk only diet are beyond stinky and make a big ole mess. Nothing like giving a bath at 2am with cold wipes and trying to keep the kicking and screaming baby from sticking any other body parts in the poop or rolling off the table. What fun! After a solid week of anything but solids in more ways than one, we called the doctor. After a long conversation with the nurse, we decided to take her in. Everything checked out fine as far as her ears and throat. We did learn she is cutting a molar which could be part of the problem but the bigger issue is weight loss. We went from 19lbs 1.5oz on 10/8 to 18lbs 6oz just 12 days later. A loss of 12oz in 12 days in pretty substantial for someone her size. Needless to say we are to continuing what we are trying (which is about anything we can think of at this point) and see if she will start eating anytime soon. We also go back for a weight check on Monday. If we are still losing I'm sure we will have to do something. I'm hoping today was a baby step in the right direction and that we will be back to chowing down and gaining weight in no time. Keep your fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Well, now I am frustrated. I left you a commen this AM, but it seems to have disappeared. I just wanted to let you know that I feel your worry and frustration. I didn't breast feed very long but I know many people who went to two years and beyond, not sure who they handled the solids, but I knowo you will work it out and this will all be a distant memory in the future.

Kim said...

Thanks Sherri! I'm starting to cut the nursing back because I want to be done around 1 year. I'm getting ready to do an update but she ate really well Thur, Fri, Sat and then back to nothing yesterday. So hit and miss at time, but you are right it will all be a distant memory soon.