Wednesday, February 15, 2012

An update from the trenches

The Brockman house is still under germ warfare, but we are on the mend. I realized yesterday that I haven't even worked a "normal" full week since returning from leave. I've been to the doctor 3 or 4 times.

However, we are happy to report the following, "WE HAVE OUR GIRL BACK!!" Kenley has finally returned to normal. There is still a faint trace of a cough occasionally but it is not disrupting her sleep or play and she has all the energy of a 2year old again (and trust me that's A LOT!!) She has returned to her chipper and playful self enjoying making us laugh and not fussing with every word.

On the other hand though, Mr. Chase (aka Bub)  is still fighting the war. We ended up back at the doctor again yesterday. He developed a "bad" cough this weekend and it had us worried. In addition, he was definitely breaking out into some sort of rash. It didn't look bad at home but under the lights of the doctor's office it actually looked a bit horrid.  We believed the rash to be an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin as we had expected it given the rest of the Brockman fam is allergic to the wonder drug and breaks out.

The doctor visit was one of the longest yet with him. The doctor was running a little behind so Bub enjoyed a few ounces from a bottle while we waited. This is when I really got to examine the "rash." He weighed in at 16lbs and 3.5 oz and a total of 26 inches long. BIG BOY! Dr. Kane examined him and determined the rash was a strong case of eczema and could be treated with vasoline if we could deal with the grease or Eucerin lotion. His ear infection from last week was cleared and his ears checked out perfect, but she did say she could hear the wheezing and cough. She also said he was "retracting" when he breathed so you could tell this nasty bug had made it's next strike and traveled south to his lungs and chest. This is when I start to get concerned. I don't mind colds but when they hit the lungs and chest it's time for some major action.

She ordered a pulse-ox test and a test for RSV. She also wanted us to do an in the office breathing treatment. He passed both pulse-ox tests with 100 and 99 which is as high as you can get, so at least he was still getting good oxygen levels with the cold. His test for RSV came back negative which was a blessing and he was a champ for the breathing treatment.  The only thing we could call it still was a severe cold with wheezing, so she sent us home with an order for breathing treatments every 4 hours or as needed.  You better believe he is getting them every 4 hours today. He got one before bed last night and it helped as he was actually able to sleep from 730ish until after 4am! I gave him one at 4am so he's due again here soon. I'm glad we didn't need chest x-rays or that it wasn't RSV but I know we aren't out of the woods yet. We really need to kick this over the next few days. If he isn't better by Friday, we head back in to see the doc. I'll keep ya posted!

No comments: