Last Saturday Clay and I hired Grandma Coleman to babysit and we headed out to dinner with our friends Lissa and Nathan. We had a wonderful time and a few after dinner drinks.
However after a lovely evening out, I returned home to a not so happy child. My mom was rocking her. She woke up coughing and unable to breathe. I did my best to get her back to bed but it was long after 1am before I succeeded and I had to let her scream even then. I felt bad. Sunday we could tell she was "sick" but it seemed just like a bad cold. She had a runny nose and was just overall fussy. She didn't nap but we survived the day.
Monday, however, was a different story.... It was a LONG and torturous day. It started at 5am with a screaming baby. Sitting rocking her in the dark in her room, I could tell her breathing was super labored and she was struggling. She was running a fever of 102.6 and just plain didn't feel good. You could see it in her eyes. I called the dr on call after the office opened (our dr is out on maternity leave) and they got us an appt at 1120am. Around 10am Kenley was overly fussy and antsy so I decided to go for a car ride in hopes she would sleep. But it seemed everytime she almost made it to sleep, she would cough and wake herself up. Poor baby! We drove around until it was time to go to the dr and of course she fell asleep the last 10 mins in the car.
Monday, however, was a different story.... It was a LONG and torturous day. It started at 5am with a screaming baby. Sitting rocking her in the dark in her room, I could tell her breathing was super labored and she was struggling. She was running a fever of 102.6 and just plain didn't feel good. You could see it in her eyes. I called the dr on call after the office opened (our dr is out on maternity leave) and they got us an appt at 1120am. Around 10am Kenley was overly fussy and antsy so I decided to go for a car ride in hopes she would sleep. But it seemed everytime she almost made it to sleep, she would cough and wake herself up. Poor baby! We drove around until it was time to go to the dr and of course she fell asleep the last 10 mins in the car.
After getting to the dr's office ON TIME and called back to the room at 1125, we were forced to wait. It was almost 1220 before the dr came in. I was so frustrated. It was hot in that room and Kenley had been up since 5am, not napped, and now not eaten lunch because I would have sworn we were going to be home by noon from a 1120 appt time. (Our dr's office is usually so prompt). However with the dr finally there and checking Kenley out she decided the breathing was labored and wanted to send us next door to the hospital for a chest xray. WHAT?? UGH!
SO Kenley and I trekked next door and registered and then waited for the xray. She seemed to be in okay spirits but I worried about her being hungry. Luckily the nurse had given me a cup with a straw so she was drinking some water. Now here is the fun part....
A chest Xray for a 1yr old. It looks so torturous. They sit on this seat that looks like a bicycle seat and then they raise their arms over their head and close these 2 plastic shields around them TIGHT with only an opening for the head. Needless to say, Kenley did NOT like this. Here is what it looked like *but image the kid in the picture SCREAMING and crying and trying to escape.
After the chest xray we headed BACK TO THE DR to wait longer. Then we got the fun news that while the chest xray was clear we would need to do some breathing treatments. OH a scary noisy machine and a mask are not things that a TIRED 1year likes, but we survived and eventually (at 2pm) we headed on our way with a nebulizer, a prescription for our ear infection, and a prescription for the breathing treatment solution. Kenley was asleep before we got out of the parking garage so I decided to drive around as long as possible. I did the drive thru for her prescriptions and I did McDonald's drive thru for food. That double cheeseburger has never tasted so good!
After about an hour of driving she woke up. I could tell she was still tired but when we got inside she refused to sleep so I just cuddled on the chair and watched some Mickey Mouse Club with her.
We survived Monday night but I knew she wasn't sleeping very well. Tuesday Clay stayed home with her and she started to show some signs of improvement. Tuesday night was even a bit better, but she still needed more recovery time, so Wednesday we recruited Grandma Coleman again. They had a nice day together and Kenley took a 2.5 hour nap that afternoon. She awoke a different girl and has been happy and back to herself ever since!!! WHOO HOO!! We survived another bout of illness and 4 very long days.
So yesterday (Thursday) she headed back to the sitter and it was opening day baseball so she sported a Cardinals tshirt. (Pictures to come when I get home.) It was super cute because 3 other little girls at the sitter also were sporting STL gear. I picked her up and she finished watching the end of the game with daddy when we got home. They may have lost but she looked so darn cute in her gear.
Now it's Friday and we have her 15 month check up this afternoon. Then she will go back to the sitter's while Clay and I do more house stuff. I have a feeling the next few months will be super busy with house stuff and I may find myself frequently asking "Where has the week gone?" However as long as Kenley stays healthy, I will be much happier.

1 comment:
We did have a good time that day! But, did forget to tell you. The new house needs a nanny cam set up over the bed of sleeping toddler, So grandma can see that she is okay without opening the door.
After 2 1/2 hours and not even a peep out of her, I was tempted to peep in to see if she was okay. :)
Post a Comment