I had my blood drawn today. It was ordered to check on my Progesterone (approximately 1 week after ovulation). I went early and was in and out of the office quickly. I got the call back from the nurse this afternoon around 4. She said that she had good news (good deal cause it's my birthday and no one wants bad news on their birthday). She said my progesterone levels were good. They look for a level greater than 20 and mine was just fine. She said that my progesterone levels suggest I had a good ovulation and that I have a healthy enough lining to support implantation should my follicle be fertile (in other words if I conceived). I asked if the results were affected by the progesterone "inserts" that I have been using. She said no because when they are used vaginally its more a local result and doesn't enter your bloodstream. The blood test was all me and my hormone levels and not the creamy "inserts." WHOO HOO! She also said I am to test with my first morning urine on the 13th. That would be FRIDAY the 13th. Who would want to test on that day? I indicated I would be out of town (I will be at Laura's and unable to test), so I asked if I could test on Sunday or Monday. So, it will be Monday the 16th (which happens to be my father-in-law's birthday). I also talked a bit about the "messiness" of the Progesterone "inserts." I guess I will have to get used to it since IF I am prego then I will have to increase the "inserts" to 3x a day for the first 11-12 weeks... wow!
Anyways I thought I would share a bit about Progesterone for research sake....
What is Progesterone?
Progesterone is a hormone produced by the ovaries that helps prepare the uterus for pregnancy. It is first produced by the corpus luteum in the ovaries and later is maintained by the placenta. (The corpus luteum is what is left of the follicle in the ovary after ovulation.)
What does Progesterone do?
- Prepares the lining of the uterus for implantation.
- Keeps the lining of the uterus thick which is necessary for a successful pregnancy.
- Produces a rise in temperature after ovulation, which remains until menstruation occurs. (or remains through pregnancy)
- Creates a nutrient rich environment for the baby by increasing glycogen and arterial blood to the lining of the uterus.
- Keeps the uterus from having contractions.
- Causes the cervix to thicken and create a mucous plug which prevents bacteria from entering the uterus.
Now I just bide my time until a week from this coming Monday and hope that my father-in-law's birthday is just as lucky for me as my birthday was today.
No comments:
Post a Comment