Wednesday, October 14, 2009

26 weeks: The wiggles and the waddle

I am 26 weeks pregnant today. We can hardly believe it, but we have less than 100 days left. Actually around 97 days according to our ticker. Seems to be flying by. As of now(according to BabyCenter) the baby weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches from head to heel. That's about the length of an English hothouse cucumber shown in the picture. Pretty long which explains the kicks and punches all around my stomach almost simultaneously at times. BabyCenter also said the network of nerves in our baby's ears are more developed and more sensitive than before. He/she may now be able to hear both my voice and Clay's as we chat with each other. He/she is inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his/her lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when they take that first gulp of air. I also like the other illustration on the site showing how this long "little bean" is curled up safely and comfortably in my womb.
Definitely another illustration supporting how those kicks come from almost everywhere. The new movement I have been feeling I will call wiggles and you can see from this picture how possible they are too. Its a weird almost "rolling" sensation of something kind of "wiggling" around in there. I just love it!!! I also think you can tell form this picture why it feels like I have to pee everytime I stand up and the bottom part of my belly feels "heavy." Little bean is smushing my bladder at times, I think. Also on my front, I am still fighting the hip pain in my right hip at times. I really pissed my hip off at class yesterday and it hurt almost all night and all day today. I've been trying to stretch it out and stay limber. My teacher works with me in class for it and my doctor knows about it so we are just monitoring it for now. All in all its not too bad as long as I keep moving. It's worse when I am stationary for too long (like when asleep...maybe I sleep too much). In other rambling news, I got some maternity clothes off of our trading post at work. (It's like an online garage sale.) I got 2 pair of pants and 6 shirts for $20 so I must say it was quite a steal. I did get my flu shot the other day at work so I can check that off the list and my next doctor's appt for 28 weeks is now set for 10/27. (It just got rescheduled today) I guess the only other thing new with me addresses the last part of the title with the "waddle" At times when I walk (usually if I have to pee) I feel like I'm starting to waddle a bit. Liz even noticed it the other day. I don't think its all the time or overly noticeable but I'm sure by Christmas I'll be waddling like an Emperor Penguin ;o) Oh I can't wait!! All in all though, I have no complaints. Being pregnant is great and I am enjoying each and every day!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So now the baby can totally hear your gas? Nice! Super excited for you. I say get all the sleep you can now even if it causes hip pain because those days are soon coming to an end.