Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Mammals have hair
I remember quite a bit from high school science, in part because I had a great teacher and because I enjoy science a great deal (hopefully any future kids I have will enjoy science too). Of the things I remember, I know that mammals (including humans) are warm-blooded, feed their young milk, and have hair (or fur) covering their bodies. Whether you know it or not you do have tiny hairs over a vast majority of your body. In some people this is much more obvious than others. (I'm sure you can picture an example.) I have made a recent discovery about my own mammal characteristics. When Kimberly and I were on our way back from Chicago and stopped at a McDonald's, I noticed that the hair on my arms by my wrists was thicker and DARKER than I had ever noticed. Well since noticing, I can't stop noticing. In the shower I see the dark sections of hair (its darker when wet) and when I take my watch off I notice how the band has removed some of the hair on the left wrist. I've even noticed that it seems to be "spreading" to the underside of my arm and toward my elbow, which previously didn't have very much noticeable hair. Was this hair always there or since going off of the pill in January, have my unbalanced and crazy hormones affected my hair growth? They say that women with PCOS often experience hirsutism (excessive and increased hair growth). This hair growth is usually in locations where the occurrence of hair is normally minimal or absent in women. Does this include the underside of my arms and my wrists? As I did a little researching just now, the articles also say that testosterone stimulates hair growth, increases size and intensifies the growth and pigmentation of hair. Well, wonderful! Another perk to this whole PCOS thing. Besides those pesky chin hairs and unwanted facial hair (which I have also had a growing concern to be on the look out for) I get dark & hairy wrists and arms. I better keep a tan because the whiter I get the darker it is going to look. Guess I will have to determine a way to keep these "testosterone" patches under control. I know most outsiders won't even notice, but I do. So to the drawing board I must go. Maybe I should trim them..... I don't think waxing is an option since it would look weird with NO hair on my arms and shaving is out too, so I think a trim is in order. Oh good God, one more thing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment