So Thursday afternoon at work, Mel and I went to a presentation as part of our company's "LIVE WELL, WORK WELL" program. It was a presentation from Barb Bancroft, RN, MSN, PNP. She is an award-winning speaker and holds informative and humorous seminars on health and disease prevention. Long story short, her most recent book is entitled "Live a Little, Laugh a Lot." I picked up a small pamphlet on her and the book as we left the enjoyable presentation. I read the pamphlet this morning and wanted to share part of it. A few excerpts from the book are given and I will be sharing one of those.
Hysterical Highlight "In 1873, Edward H Clarke, an esteemed Harvard physician claimed to have discovered the reason for 'female sterility.' The cause, he wrote, was the education of women, which diverted energy from the reproductive machinery to the brain, resulting in women with 'monstrous brains and puny bodies."
So disregarding the confusion on whether or not he was sexist by today's standards implying that only uneducated women can remain fertile (although I don't think that was his intent and I don't think that serves a scientific benefit.)
Regardless...can I say then I am too smart? HA! Just kidding!!!
However, it makes me wonder what other theories have been proposed throughout the years. After all infertility is not new. Infertility has been around since the dawn of man. Maybe I'll have to look into that. I am sure there will be many interesting thoughts......
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment