1. Patience- Even after waiting a year to see the doctor, there is still more waiting. Today I spent the day waiting for the nurse to call with my updated results from this morning's ultrasound. I went a little nuts like Gigi from the movie "He's just not that into you." I was constantly checking my phone to see if she called and I just missed it. I must have checked at least 4 or 5 times during a 2 hour meeting. I checked and checked it again. Finally, it was time to call. It was 4pm which would have been close to 5pm Indiana time (or doctor time as I should call it). I left a message for the nurse and then waited some more. (She called at 5pm.)
2. Flexibility- No I am not talking about flexibility to get those feet up in the stirrups or flexibility in your neck to crane yourself around to see the ultrasound screen so you too can see your ovaries. I am talking about flexibility in scheduling. I had an ultrasound on Saturday, then had another this morning at 815am. Now after my 5pm phone call, I will have yet another on Wednesday at 1245pm. This one will be in Urbana again so I will be hitting the road. I will remain flexible to put the doctor first.
3. A laid back husband- Facing fertility treatments can drive a woman crazy. I was already a bit crazy to begin with but this at times can push me even more over the edge. I am so very thankful for Clay and his laid back demeanor. He keeps me under control when I push the envelope to crazyville.
4. A few good friends- A few good friends to talk to is a definite must. Someone to talk to is so good for the soul and nothing is better than a girlfriend. Clay is great but sometimes he doesn't understand so its nice to have a few good friends to laugh at you, cry with you, or just listen to you. It's so nice to know other people care about your obsession.
5. A proactive doctor- I love that my doctor is proactive and has been since day 1. I think it comes from his experience. He has been doing this since 1985... that's since I was 5 years old. He does what he wants and has the same very goal. He doesn't want to waste our time or our money. Love him!!
6. A caring nurse to assist- I don't know if I have mentioned this or not but I also love the nurses already. You can see the genuine care they give. Linda the nurse has been great.
7. A tank full of gas- With the miles ahead driving back and forth to Urbana, I am bound to need a tank of gas to get me there.
8. A good internet connection- There are a lot of terms and procedures that come up when faced with infertility. A good internet connection goes a long way. I can spend HOURS looking up things on the internet and learning more about things ahead or things that affect me. I love the informational aspect about it all. I just hope my brain can hold it all.
9. Some really good drugs- It helps to be a pill popper. I will continue my Metformin and Dr. J said it would be my best friend. I will also be taking lots of different drugs at different times. I have already done Provera and Letrozole. I am sure there will be many many many many more to come.
10. No fear! If shots lay ahead and I'm sure they do. In fact I have the one in my fridge already for the future. I can not be scared of the pain and bruising that will be involved or the fear of things to come. In fact, I am not scared at all. I'm excited.
I am sure that my list will change if you ask me again in a few months but this is what I think now. It started with just patience and flexibility but I realized I should count more of my blessings that I have.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment