That is the question I face right now. My temps are still elevated and holding, so I know (or can assume with relative certainty) one of two things: Either I am going to have another period or I am pregnant. I just don't know what to do.
So how long have my temps been elevated? Well, even that's hard to answer. They have been above 98 for 10 days now, but if you go by that fertility.com chart (see previous post) I ovulated 12 days ago. According to the interweb you can expect your period 12-14 days after ovulation. Again the interweb says the average luteal phase for a woman is 12-16 days and needs to be at least 10 days for implantation to occur. So I'm either sitting at day 10 or I'm sitting at day 12. Hmm....
Everything I read says that although the length of the leutal phase varies between women it will be the same for each specific woman's cycle month-to-month. Therefore you are supposed to use past cycles as an indication of how long your individual luteal phase is. Well, CRAP! I only have one past cycle to judge it on. According to that cycle, my temps were only up for 10 days before I got my period, but that cycle was also 54 days long. This one only has me at day 44 today. So, the overall cycle is getting shorter but since I don't have my period today, the luteal phase may be getting longer? Makes sense to me, maybe.
Well, I digressed. Back to the original question (When or if I should take a test). I have two left and one was given to me so it was free. If I go with the lowest possible number and use only days where my temp has been above 98 then I will be at day 12 on Sunday. Or do I wait till day 16 and use the highest number? Funny thing about doing that would be that if I test on day 16 (and don't have my cycle yet and my temps are still elevated) then that puts me on Thursday Feb 12th. Doesn't that date sound familiar? It should. It's my consultation appointment with Dr. Jarrett, the fertility specialist. Wouldn't that just be crazy finding out your pregnant on the day you were scheduled to go see a specialist? HA!
So, anyways, whatever happens happens. I will be in a good place either way. If the test is negative (or I get my period) then I will still be excited since it appears my body is normalizing. Plus I will have my dr. appt later in the week to look forward to. And if I don't get my period and the test swings the other way, well, then that would be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. (It would also scare the crap out of me since miscarriages are common with PCOS due to fluctuations in hormone levels.)
So, today my mind swims with questions....
To test or not to test?
To be or not to be (a mother)?
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment