It's my home away from home in a sense.. or at least I think it will be. It looked really deserted and I feared the doors would be locked. They weren't. So we traveled upstairs to Reproductive Medicine and Gynecology. This is where we had gone for Clay's semen analysis so we were familiar with where to go which was good because there wasn't another soul around to ask for directions. I had joked when we were there in January that you can't miss the dept name on the wall. It's really big, so to prove it, I took another picture.
There was one guy in the waiting room so Clay and I took a seat. We were called back shortly after arriving, so we didn't wait long. The nurse's name was Linda (no I didn't take her picture although I thought about it. We went back to room and began. I had emptied my bladder twice but I swear I could have peed again when the "tool" was investigating. Linda started with the uterus. We again talked about my tilted uterus. I asked what that meant and which way it was tilted but I have NO MEMORY. I really need to get that tape recorder. She did put "thick" for the uterine lining, so that's good I guess. We then went to the right ovary. She counted and counted and gave up at 17. She said it definitely looked like a PCOS ovary. Yep, I knew that already. She did measure 3 separate follicles but only 2 of any size. Then on the left ovary we found a bigger follicle. My ovaries look like this... 

The picture on the top is my left ovary (the better one) and has the better of the measurable follicles. The follicle you see is 16x9mm in size. A 16x16 mm follicle is the smallest follicle considered "good" or "mature." Ideally they want 18-22 mm for a "perfectly" matured follicle but consider anything 16-24mm to be mature. Of the multiple follicles shown on the right ovary (shown on the bottom) only two were measurable and both are smaller than the follicle from the left ovary. They measure 11x6mm and 14x8mm. Linda explained that she would contact Dr. J and then follow up with us as to what he would like to do. She thought he may want to see additional ultrasound pictures in a few more days to see if the measurable follicles have developed any further and if it would be time for ovulation. Then because we were going to go for the next ultrasound in Bloomington, she gave us a parting gift. I will interject (nice play on words of things to come) and say that these nurses and Dr. J definitely think AHEAD. Given the sonogram in Bloomington will be done by a tech and NOT a nurse, I was given a shot, for if they find the follicles have grown to "maturity", the doctor may want to induce ovulation manually with a shot of Ovidrel. So we now have this sitting in our fridge...
It may be a sign of things to come. I guess I didn't think about fertility drugs needing to be refridgerated. I was given a 30 sec tutorial on how to give myself the shot (or how Clay could give the shot) and a 1 page handout illustrating the 3 acceptable injection locations. The locations are the lower abdomen, the outside of my thighs, or the backside of my hips above my butt. I have a glorious illustration, but I think I will leave you all in suspense for another post. Maybe the one where I get to actually take the shot. So Clay and I left to await the nurse's call after she was able to speak with Dr. Jarrett. We stopped for breakfast on the way home and as we got home, the nurse called. Dr. Jarrett does want to see updated sonogram pictures on Monday. I will be going back in for an ultrasound on Monday at 8:15. If they (meaning the follicles) have grown then I may be taking the shot. If not, I will find out the next steps. I am assuming it just takes me longer to mature an egg. After all last month I didn't ovulate until day 33 although the Letrozole was supposed to speed the process up a bit. I am just glad to finally be on the road and actually PROACTIVELY doing things. Linda said the Dr. was encouraged today by our results and said we are definitely "making positive progress." So we move on ;o)
No comments:
Post a Comment