Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My chiastic structure

I am going to share more from my Bible study on Esther. Last night we learned a bit about HOW Esther was actually written and that due to the lack of current methods of punctuation, bolding, italics, and other tricks for emphasis and meaning, the author used advanced literary devices to provide emphasis and meaning. The first literary device we learned about last night was chiastic structure.

Chiastic structure is an inverted parallelism. It is a reversal of structures to emphasize and overarching point. Beth Moore gave a few examples like: Don't live to eat, but eat to live or I'm not scared to fight, I fight because I'm scared.

To help remember what chiastic structure is we learned that it begins with CHI which is the 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet. The 22nd letter of our alphabet is an X and this letter itself represents the crisscross of a chiasm or crossing.

As I was sitting there listening, I tried to write my own. (I later read today's reading and it asks me to do the same so I'm glad I already had a few in mind.)

Here is what I was thinking......

I'm waiting to be a mother but I'll be a mom because I waited.
(Does this make sense. It does to me but it's so hard to explain.)

No comments: