Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Old wives tales and those "tests"

I guess it's never really to early to guess if we will have a boy or a girl. After all you have a 50/50 shot and plenty of time to change your mind. We have had a few people guess already. Two have said girl and one has said boy. The two that said girl put me through those old wives tale tests... you know like hanging a silver spoon over your belly, a needle over your wrist, or picking up a key. (Yeah I had never heard of the key one either)

We did the "key" test a few weeks ago at Liz's house. Her neighbor said he was 100% accurate to date. He threw a key on the ground and told me to pick it up. Then based on how I picked up the key he said I was having a girl. Now I don't remember any other details so we may have to Google for more understanding....

My mom did the needle over the wrist test. Now this goes beyond telling you the sex of the baby. It also tells you how many kids you will have (and the sex of each). You hand a needle over your wrist and if it swings in a circle it will be a girl and if it swings side to side it will be a boy. It will pause between swinging and then when it starts again that is your next kid....then it stops.. So according to this "test" we will have 2 kids. The first will be a girl and the second is a boy.

I just bring these up because Clay and I recently read the "Wives Tales" section of the pregnancy book and some of them were just too much. I thought I would share some of our "favorites."
  • Refusing to eat the heel on a loaf of bread means you're going to have a girl.
  • Your baby will be born with a hairy birthmark if you see a mouse while pregnant.
  • Eating berries causes red splotches on your baby's skin.
  • If you perspire a lot, it's a girl.
  • It's a girl if you crave orange juice (which I do.)
  • Stretching your arms over your head can cause the umbilical cord to wrap around the baby's neck.
  • If you carry high, it's a boy: low, it's a girl.
Those were just a few. We really liked the arms above the head one and the mouse causing birthmarks. Hmm...

Well feel free to share any others that you have heard. When we get closer to baby's arrival (like maybe Nov) I will do a poll to see what you think it will be.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Those are pretty good! I will need to analyze your belly as you get a little farther along to make a determination. I think if you carry low and out in front like a basketball, it's a boy, and if you're belly is wide and stretched out across the front, it's a girl. ;)

Melissa said...

Okay I have never eaten the humps of the bread, and I have always had a sweating problem so how did I end up with one of each? Those are just crazy.
I remember my mom telling me one about spitting on drano in the sink. If it turns one color it is a girl and another color is a boy. Who ever thought of spitting on drano in the first place?

Verna said...

We just did the needle test for the fun of it.

All that really matters is that it is a baby and hopefully will be healthy.

Boy or girl, we will love it just the same.