Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baby sono ban


The title of this video caught my eye the other day as I was browsing on our internet providers homepage getting ready to check my email. I had tried to blog about it that night but when I embedded the video I got an error. I wrote the help desk and like I expected, they were no help. However it appears the video has been fixed tonight so I decided to post it.

I know several people who have had these 3d sonograms and I know a few more people interested. I think they are really neat to see. I suppose I would possibly consider it if we were going to find out the sex of our little bean, but because we want to keep that a surprise, we wouldn't want to do one of these and then accidentally see if it was a boy or a girl. Well, the fact that it isn't covered by insurance is a deterrent too since we are trying to budget more these days.

I guess the whole point of the video is that these elective sonograms are unregulated by the FDA and there are no long term studies on the possible effects on the baby. The main point I got was that the machines and technicians aren't regulated like the machines and technicians in the hospital or doctor's office.

I don't want to put this out to scare anyone. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to share the short video to spark discussion. I just take it at face value. I'm sure there were some concerns back in the day when regular 2d sonograms were first used.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This is interesting. The place we went to with Tyson was very professional and the tech said that she does sonograms for hospitals too, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I guess it pays to ask a lot of questions if you are getting an elective 3D sonogram. I understand your reasons for not wanting one, but for what it's worth, we couldn't see a thing in the "gender zone"! She did pan out to 2D mode to confirm that it was a boy, but during the 3D part she knew where the head was and completely zoomed in on that area.

Kimberly said...

Was this something that your doctor was willing to perform or would you have had to go somewhere else in town to do this?

Sarah said...

Not sure if you asking me or Kim, but we had ours done at a "studio" near Meijer. The name completely escapes me now! It's a business that isn't tied to your doctor at all, it is completely elective. I think some hospitals have this equipment but they only use it for medical reasons, unlike ours which was just for fun.